CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Camping with the Holy Ghost

We went camping Sunday night July 4th where the kids had monday off school.  Jim had to work so it was just the kids and I.  They had been wanting to go camping all summer and we had just been to busy.  So I took them for a quick one night camping trip.  We went up Yankee Meadow but with it being a holiday most people already being there through the weekend we had a hard time finding a spot.  We ended up camping just off the road and started to get camp set up before it got to dark.  I did not feel good about the location we were camping in because our tent was just off the road as you come around a corner. The whole time setting up the tent I keep thinking this really is not the best place.  If someone can't make that turn they will run right into us, but we really have no other options and the kids were so excited I pushed they aside and set up camp.
















Once camp was set we went on a little hike where Zip (our dog) got into some water.  The look on the kids face when he ran by them and shook was priceless.



















After out little hike it was time to start a fire, tell stories and enjoy some smores!!!!
















 Trey was our professional Smore Maker!
















Every time a vehicle would come down the road I would hold my breath and I still felt uneasy about our location.    I continued to keep my feelings to myself and did not want to upset the kids.  We were having such a great time.  We ended up going to bed about 1:00 AM and after we said our prayers and quieted down I could hear someone crying.  I rolled over and asked Aspyn what was wrong.  Through her tears she said "mom I really don't think we are sup-post to camp here."  I began to cry because I knew she was right.  I had ignored the feeling I was having the whole time, but it took the spirit of a child to make me listen.  We had been learning about the Holy Ghost in Primary that month and the boys (who had started crying also) said "Mom I think the holy ghost is telling us something here and we need to listen."  We quickly packed up camp and headed down the mountain back home.  We had a great time while we were there, but we also had a great learning experience about the Holy Ghost and how he can help us in all aspects of our lives.  We discussed how when we hear those promptings we need to obey.  Need less to say when we did get home they all wanted to sleep with Mom just to be safe, and of course mom didn't mind.  All in all it was a camping trip I will never forget and I don't think they will either.

No comments: